Leading Main Line Realtors® at Sage Realty Outline Popular Home Design Trends
Home design trends come and go with each generation, with only some features lasting across multiple generations. As 2017 gets off to a steady start, many buyers are more interested in single story, single family homes, particularly older generations such as Baby Boomers and Seniors.
Sage Realty’s Main Line Realtors® list some 2017 real estate trends you are bound to see.
Trends Across the Generations
The largest real estate trend is the desire to own a single-story home. This trend, according to a study by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), is led by the older generations, with 88% of Seniors and 75% of Baby Boomers wanting single story homes. Boomers and Seniors also placed higher in the desire for their laundry service area to be on the first floor of a multilevel home; however, over half of Millennials and Gen Xers also prefer first floor laundry rooms.
Design Trends for the Exterior
In addition to the overall preference for single level homes, other popular design features can affect a home’s ability to sell quickly. These desirable traits home buyers are looking for currently include:
- Porches and Decks – a record number of new homes are being built with porches or decks, and the addition of both are popular remodeling projects that can improve a home’s sale value.
- Low Maintenance Landscaping – Younger and older home buyers are looking for lower maintenance: either to avoid spending their time on landscaping maintenance, or because they can no longer properly maintain landscaping due to their age.
Interior Design Trends for 2017
While a home’s size and location plays the biggest role in a home buyer’s decision, interior features can easily turn away buyers or draw them in. A recent survey by the NAHB determined the most desirable home features to include:
- Barn Sliding Doors
- Big Closets
- Eat-In Kitchens
- Extra-Large Garages
- Finished, High Ceiling Basements
- First-Floor Master Suites
- Multigenerational Floor Plans
- Neutral Color Schemes
- Open Layouts
- White Kitchens
What This Means for Buyers in Wayne and Surrounding Areas
Home design trends, such as those seen in today’s market, often indicate homes with these features are fast to sell, staying on the listing pages sometimes less than even a day. While this is good news for sellers, buyers may find themselves in competition for desirable homes. To prevent the risk of losing your dream home, we recommend buyers move quickly to make an offer. Other home buying tips include:
- Be flexible in closing dates and requirements
- Obtain pre-approval from your lender
- Stay on top of new listings
Call Sage Realty for Reliable and Knowledgeable Home Buying Assistance
Dedicated Main Line Realtors® at Sage Realty, will help you lock in your ideal home in this competitive market. We have the experience you want when looking for guidance and we work hard to find the right home at the right price for you! Contact the team at Sage Realty today to learn more or schedule an appointment.
Tags: Main Line Realtors