Bryn Mawr, PA
Located nine miles west of Philadelphia, Bryn Mawr, PA, is situated in the center of the Main Line, a group of affluent Philadelphia suburban towns.
The town’s namesake is a house built by Rowland Ellis in 1704, now known as Harriton House. Ellis, a Welsh Quaker, was a significant member of his community, and received a grand estate from William Penn in the 1680’s. He named his estate “Bryn Mawr,” which means “high hill” in Welsh. The T-shaped stone house with its flaring eaves and tall brick chimneys serves as an example of early Pennsylvania architecture.
Set right outside Philadelphia, the commute from Bryn Mawr is less than 15 minutes by train, easily accessed by several local stations, as well as an Amtrak station located in Ardmore, just two miles away.
Bryn Mawr and its surrounding towns offer a multitude of shopping, evening entertainment and dining destinations, as well as several parks and walking trails in close proximity. Lancaster Avenue offers a plethora of eateries and entertainment establishments for live music and theater, namely Ardmore Music Hall and Bryn Mawr Film Institute.
Within Bryn Mawr’s .62 square mile radius reside some of Pennsylvania’s elite small, private colleges-Bryn Mawr College, Harcum College and Rosemont College. With three colleges located in such close proximity (along with a handful of college and universities within a six mile radius), the college students are an influential part of the area’s culture, which also contributes to the popularity of the homes in Bryn Mawr.
As of June 2018, Bryn Mawr had a population of 3,545* with a median household income of $54,318*.
The Lower Merion School District was voted the fourth best district in Pennsylvania for 2018 based on rankings done by Niche. The rankings are based on a compilation of data from the U.S. Department of Education as well as test scores and college data.
Public High School
- HARRITON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,207, Location: 600 N Ithan Ave. Grades: 9-12). Harriton is a two-time recipient of the Department of Education’s Blue Ribbon School Award and consistently ranks among the nation’s finest in Newsweek and US News ratings.
Private High Schools
- THE SHIPLEY SCHOOL (Students: 837, Location: 814 Yarrow St. Grades: PK-12)
- THE AGNES IRWIN SCHOOL (Students: 683, Location: 275 S Ithan Ave. Grades: PK-12, Girls only)
- COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL OF THE SACRED HEART (Students: 322, Location: 480 S Bryn Mawr Ave. Grades: PK-12, Girls only)
- JACK M BARRACK HEBREW ACADEMY (Students: 274, Location: 272 S Bryn Mawr Ave. Grades: 6-12)
- HILL TOP PREPARATORY SCHOOL (Students: 72, Location: 737 S Ithan Ave. Grades: 5-12)
- PRESBYTERIAN CHILDREN’S VILLAGE SCHOOL (Students: 26, Location: 452 S Roberts Rd. Grades: 7-11)
Public Elementary & Middle Schools
- ITHAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 497, Location: 695 Clyde Rd. Grades: KG-5)
- COOPERTOWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 401, Location: 800 Coppertown Rd. Grades: KG-5)
Private Elementary & Middle Schools
- ROSEMONT SCHOOL (Students: 315, Location: 1344 Montgomery Ave. Grades: PK-8)
- ST ALOYSIUS ACADEMY (Students: 217, Location: 401 S Bryn Mawr Ave. Grades: PK-8, Boys only)
- SS COLMAN & JOHN NEUMANN SCHOOL (Students: 203, Location: 372 Highland Ln. Grades: KG-8
For more details and information on home listings in Bryn Mawr, PA contact Linda Walters at 610-687-4000.
*As of 2018, according to niche.com