Buyers Agent Tips for Sellers
Tips on Selling Your Home From an Exclusive Buyers Agent
We see hundreds of homes for sale every year and we know what buyers react to–both positively and negatively. Here are some tips:
- Make it ridiculously easy to make the appointment. Your child’s nap is important but that may be the only time this out-of-town buyer can see your house.
- Be forgiving about the time slot. Most buyers are seeing a number of houses that day and the agent needs at least a half hour window for the arrival time. So leave a few minutes before and don’t come back for at least an hour if at all possible.
- Yes, you should leave for all appointments. Nothing is more annoying to a buyer than to be followed through the house by the seller who wants to point out the wallpaper when all they are interested in is the layout or the quality of the construction.
- Make the front entrance as attractive as possible-always have a healthy pot of flowers and a new mat.
- Eliminate every odor–no smoke, cooked cabbage, cat litter or musty basement smells–they are the leading cause of buyers walking right back out of a house.
- Remove all personal items from the shelves and walls like diplomas and family photos–Buyers spend time looking at those instead of your home.
- Leave a short list of improvements you have made and the things you love about the neighborhood for buyers to take with them.
- A dish of candy or cookies is a nice “boost” for the tired buyers who may be at the end of their tour and it may just make them take another look at your lovely home.